Our Glass


Glass is made of sand...
Dust to dust...


Those quotes weigh heavy on my heart.
My mother-in-law was diagnosed with leukemia last week.
Her doctor talked to her about how much time she has left.
I thought about that sobering sentence
and how we all face our own mortality no matter how much
or how little time we have left. It made me think of how we
each leave behind a mirror of ourselves, one that our loved ones
may from time to time gaze into and catch a glimpse of who we were,
a reflection of ourselves, the ones left holding the looking glass.



4 comments:

  1. Charles, I am so sorry for this sadness in your family's life. This elegant poem tells the truth of life in all of its pain and light. My thoughts are with you.
    A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Amy. May your poetic light continue to warm the hearts of readers everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your poem is so very true. We need to hold dearly EVERY moment of time we have with our loved ones...even more so when the sands run low in the glass of time. Peace be with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful poem, Charles. So sorry to hear the news about your mother-in-law. Such sobering thoughts have been with us, too, since my aunt was just diagnosed with breast cancer. My thoughts are with you, Debra, and the whole family.

    ReplyDelete